Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Kompi

Yeayyy…..!I finally beat my phone in PocketChess. That thing had driven me crazy since months ago. Every step I made, it blocked my way, killed my knights, threatened my King. Whenever I thought I was making a smart move, it happened to be a trap. I had to cheat a bit by undoing my steps and when sometimes I became too agitated I pressed Switch Sides…-monyet curang, habis gregetan- but it never failed to amuse me and made me curse and swear.
But the moment of this century, I have beaten it! In few steps only, and Check Mate. 5% skill, 95% luck. Yuhuu… I didn’t even realize myself. Now that I’ve won, I won’t play again. He he he ..

Machines are getting smarter and smarter. I bought this tiny machine called Q20. Hubby found it in one shop one day. Think of something, it asks 20 questions, you only need to answer yes, no, maybe, and it guesses correctly. We tried it few times, and finally one day decided to buy it. Now I’m out of question. I’ve asked it to guess key, wallet, watch, rainbow, volcano, blender, car tire, hair, everything. It got me wrong at times but mostly because I gave something too specific or abstract, like hairy mole, rain or I didn’t answer correctly, like when I thought about shark, it asked does it lay eggs? I said,”Yesssssss.”
Mas koki kaleee’...

Along machines are getting smarter, sometimes they are also stubbornly stupid. I strongly suspect that they hate me. When I was using my previous software, that thing crashed on me in a way that it never crashed on anybody else. Error, refused to do my commands, or crashed my other program just because that particular program was installed first. That kind of jealously! When the IT guy found the problem, he didn’t believe it himself, but we proved it right, so I had to install this one before that one etc…
Or when I did something, the computer just stared back at me, pretended that I never asked. Those were the time I felt like kicking %^#%^&#, but mostly ended up with me begging for it. They hate me because I killed one when I was doing my Final Paper in University. I hate them back secretly, sometimes I poked them when they were off or when I don't need them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to let any mechanical object realise that you are in a hurry.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips

Computer dating is fine, if you're a computer.
- Rita May Brown.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
- Paul Ehrlich.

The perfect computer has been developed. You just feed in your problems and they never come out again.
- Al Goodman.

The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit.
- Eric Porterfield.

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
- Andy Rooney.

Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up.
- James Magary.