Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Asian Dive Ex..Ex...

Saturday, we went to Adex 2006. Adex stands for Asian Dive Exhibition, I suppose, or Expo? Or Extension? Or Exclusive? Or Expensive? Nahhh…

I’ve been wanting to see how this exhibition like since few months ago, this time we were lucky because it was held in Singapore, previous year was in Thailand, and so will next. But it was not fantastic (lucky we didn’t need to pay the expensive entry fee!), in fact, we couldn’t find any operator who could beat the price we got for Menado and previously Bali trip. The equipments was so-so also, we found Radiator stall who sold vest and wetsuit we bought last time, this time they came in various colors, so I scared everyone who bought them would look the same with us, again. With limited dive equipment range available, it is very easy to find twins here and there. Even when I was in my first trip with Cynthia, Sipadan, we just found out we had exactly the same wet suit, size and colors, sometimes I confused with each other pictures.
Okay, nothing much for the equipment, I even cancelled my camera purchase because the seller was wishy-washy and didn’t bring the product there although he had promised. So be it. When we went around to try and find 5mm wetsuit, nobody had the product to sell, it is understandable, a bit, that not all tropical diving needs 5mm, but the options should be available.

So, disappointed about equipment, we looked for Minahasa Diver, our operator in Menado. We found one Minahasa Lagoon stall and confronted the poor Mat Soleh.

“Are you from Minahasa Diver?”
“Yes, we dive in Minahasa..”
“Yes, hi, we are looking for you, are you Oliver?”
“Huh? No, I’m (name)…”
“Eh? But you are from Minahasa Diver?”
“Uh. No. We provide diving in Minahasa, but we are called Minahasa Lagoon.”
“Not Minahasa Diver?”
“No. Never heard of it.”

O-o. We have a trip in two weeks time in Bunaken, Menado. Bunaken is one of the famous dive sites in Indonesia and in the world. In the past, when the only diving thing that I know was a guy who dived and out of nowhere showed us his thumb, then..RCTI Okeee…., I have heard of Bunaken, although I didn’t know where it is. Now I know, it’s in Sulawesi Island, the K-shaped Island next to the chicken-shaped island, my home, Borneo. Yet, it still doesn’t sound knowledgeable, I know.
By the way, since we hadn’t touch the water, when we were in the first classroom diving lesson, our operator that time already talked to us about the possible partnership in Bunaken, bla bla, and even my aunt who does not have any idea about this activities, also convincingly told us that we have to go to Bunaken, because she heard from here and there that it’s good…
So let’s see whether it still stands for its reputation.

We had disposed our original plan to go back to Sipadan since the price had risen very high and the resort we want are full of Japanese. They have booked their trip since last year! Talk about Japanese occupation….
Although it would be good to be back to Sipadan, I prefer somewhere new to explore. So we settled for Menado, alias Bunaken and Lembeh, the plan was only confirmed about two or three weeks ago, too bad one of our group won’t join us as he is busy with his work.

Overall, while Adex was quite disappointing, it was fun to meet friends, we also met some dive shop owners who happened to remember us. Other than that, tThere were many Indonesian dive operators, when we approached them, it always good to meet fellow Indonesian, regardless the race.
“Halo, may I help you?”
“Mas/mbak orang Indonesia ya?”
“Eh, iya Adek juga jdari Injdonesia? Wuaduh, apa kabuar?” (I don’t know how to write an accent, they speak in strong Javanese or Sundanese. : ) ).
And when we asked whether they have Indonesian price in case we want to arrange dive trip, they always gave us warm welcome, muah, cups, I love my Indonesian passport. It’s true that when we are out of the country, all races differences disappear when we meet each others. : )

A-ha, one thing very fun for me. On our way out of Adex, we filled a survey form to get a cute fin key chain (he he he) which is also serves as a free entry to Adex 2007.
One of the questions was ‘What is your age group?’ The option was, I think, ’10-19, ’20-29’,’30-39’,..
Suddenly I burst out laughing, and next to me, Hubby, was laughing also, but that kind of ironic laugh..
he he he…, so we are belong to different age group already! I happily checked 20-29, while he had to choose the next. Although I am pretty close, at the edge of it, I still can laugh at him for about nine months, and I promise, I’ll laugh at him every, single, day. : )

_____________________________________________________________________________

When I give a lecture, I accept that people look at their watches, but what I do not tolerate is when they look at it and raise it to their ear to find out if it stopped.
- Marcel Achard

The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but you still have to mow it.
- Anonymous

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
- Anonymous

If you found yourself in a situation where you could either save a drowning man, or you could take a Pulitzer prize winning photograph of him drowning, what shutter speed and setting would you use?
- Paul Harvey

There are three types of people in this world: Those who can count, and those who can't.
- Seen on a bumper sticker