Thursday, March 09, 2006

Movie Grumbling

Again, I failed to catch The Constant Gardener. After switching three cinemas last weekend, I prepared myself with proper schedule this time. Arrived five minutes before the show, the ticker seller told me that they only had the movie on alternate days. Yes, I got my information from yesterday paper. But, what are the odds? Grmbl… I don’t even know whether the movie is worth the chase.

So I watched Transamerica instead, in other cinema. It’s funny how people here locate which movie plays in which theater. Transamerica was in my ‘To Watch List’ so I was happy enough. But geeeee, the movie was boring. Boring. Boring. It has unique and brave idea, and that’s it. The characters are plain, the pace are painfully slow and flat. If you read the synopsis in the mag or news, be prepared to watch something exactly like that but dragged for almost two hours. The other grmbl thing, the cinema was packed, and almost everyone was laughing like crazy for cliché jokes and something repetitive. It made me wince.

Compared to About Shcmitz,
think,
A man in process to be a woman but finds out the truth that he has a son from the past who was arrested for gay prostitute, and
A life of a retiree.

Doh? Can see which one is supposed to be boring?
But About Schmitz character was so richly developed and the movie offered surprises that connect warmly to our own life. It was able to grow from a mere bland topic.

Was it only me? No…. Even without comparing, I’m sure Transamerica is only scratching the surface.

Ugh, I dedicated a post to bad mouth a movie. I was in with too high expectation maybe, and lost a few nerves and screws by the time I was watching it. You decide.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Your chances of getting hit by lightning go up if you stand under a tree, shake your fist at the sky, and say, "Storms suck!"
- Johnny Carson

If you try to please everybody, nobody will like it.
- Unknown

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
- Oscar Wilde