Wednesday, June 21, 2006

World Cup

So it’s World Cup. Since it’s a fever everywhere, maybe I have to write something about it. I’m not a football fans, and I’m definately not a football fan’s fan. Maybe I prefer other sports with more scores, such as basketball when I don’t need to bite the table’s edge until the goal finally happen.
But I do agree that football is a classy sport, it’s the same or not bigger than Olympic, the ugly sides although opposite with ugly are the infamous pretty faces around that make girls turn their TV on, the other ugly side that is indeed ugly is the bets. Okay, it’s very tempting, I bet once, he.. but I can’t remember who won and I’m sure my friend didn’t even organize it, he just said, in my previous office, who want to bet against this... Then I bet this..that…I can’t even remember whether there were some money exchanging, not very professional gamblers were we?

I prefer to bet into something more fun, like whether this guy is meeting his girlfriend, whether this little kid in the mall belong to that family or the other, and the bets involve something like lunch, drink or so said, pride and dignity or sometimes millions of virtual dollars are involved.

I remember the last World Cup I also bet in office for Brazil, but like that;

“Who do you think will win?”
“Brazil.”
“Wanna bet?”
“Sure!”

And Brazil won.

“I win! I win! Pay me up. Fast.”
“Okay, you win! But do you realize we forgot to decide what to bet?”

So I gain nothing, not even pride and dignity.

Other happy marry memories about football happened during my university time in hostel. My hostel in specific and University in general are popular with scary ghost stories happening around, from first hand to don’t know how many hands and recycled stories. From the bravest until my last year, the confidence dropped and dropped and night time sometimes could be difficult to pass, especially during holiday seasons when I had to stay in hostel for some reasons, there were times when I would be the only person around or with some guys who stayed far away upstair. That’s why I like football time! My room was located exactly next to TV room, so during football season, I would either be too happy because there were so many companies around or too noisy to sleep. It’s fun also during sleepless night when exams was knocking and when we were buried in between assignments. Some warung also participated during football and exam time by opening 24 hours, so it was happening.

So, enjoy! For those who want to bet, if you want some tips from this professional gambler; never bet for England, no matter how many songs they circle around with rumor that they win etc. Pick Brazil. Ho ho ho.

______________________________________________________________________________
Football…causeth fighting, brawling, contention, quarrel picking, murder, homicide and great effusion of bloode, as daily experience teachth.
- Philip Stubbes

We do have the greatest fans in the world, but I’ve never seen a fan score a goal.
- Jock Stein

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence’s. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
- George Orwell