Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Brochure People

It’s so easy to be impatient here. Is it here or because I’m getting older?



It’s here.

I’ve been unhappy in work for about some time now, sometime I bring my feeling home, most of the time I throw it away. When I’m off from work or during lunch, I always have impatient moment. Sometime I feel like pushing someone down the stair just because he/she blocking the way while I’m in rush, well, to be home.

Here, almost everything has to be done by regulation. The government teaches the people to queue for everything, how to be safe in the road, and even how to ride an escalator. So for those who don’t want to move, stand on the left, right side is only for mobile people. It felt super robotic at first, like a child being told not to do this or that, rather than use own thinking, but at least, we could feel the advantage for not needing to push rows of people to get to the top when we’re in rush. It’s good habit to be organized, however, it creates impatient people, those kind of impatient that maybe people from other parts of the world can’t understand. If I have visitors from Indo, I would have to tell them about the ‘unwritten’ rules so that impatient rude people won’t spoilt their day.

At times, the impatient people would be me. Hard to avoid, I’m become less and less stress resistant inside stressful environment. Nowadays, I also get easily annoyed by those brochure people. They are basically everywhere, mostly, among the crowded streets. Crowded streets are stressful enough with the number of people trying to get to different directions while standing on the same spot. Gone are the days when I ignore those who stop in the middle of the street to chat to their friend by blocking the whole circulation, although, still, I hope, I still criticize them with humor, but in the worse moment I have the urge to push them to the gutter.

So, brochure people, they hand brochure to everyone especially on the crowded streets as if it’s not stucky enough and they litter a lot. They seem to find better and better method, from just politely hand out and retrieve when rejected, to push the brochure in front of the nose and refuse to let you pass. The worst, although sometime we have good laugh at it, are those bullying brochure people who give their load of brochures to you when you don’t have the ability to refuse. Like, when Hubby was holding a box of monitor a while back, they just put the papers on the box. He didn’t have a free hand to physically reject the brochure, but he said nooooo all the way and they ignored him, some even gave double or triple servings for those poor victims.

Or when I was stumbling with my wallet, shopping bag, train card, key, handphone and could use five hands had I have them, they still tried to put the brochures on top of those things entangled on my fingers. They wouldn’t care if it dropped or whatever, once it went out of their hand, caused by them or not, it’s out of their responsibility. So, on Sundays, if we go to the most stylish road in Singapore, Orchard Road, on the underground tunnel, it looks worse than mm.. a primary school yard whose kids haven’t been taught how to use the rubbish bin yet.

Yeah, yeah, I know distributing brochure is not an easy or desirable thing to do, but everybody also have their own hell.

Now, s s s s s m m m m i i i l l l l l e e e e e e e e . . .
And pop in some Xanax.

_____________________________________________________________________________

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
- William Clayton

Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?
- Robin Williams (from Mork and Mindy)


Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you.
- Groucho Marx

We have women in the military, but they don't put us in the front lines. They don't know if we can fight, if we can kill. I think we can. All the general has to do is walk over to the women and say, "You see the enemy over there? They say you look fat in those uniforms."
- Elayne Boosler