Monday, June 19, 2006

Furry Friends

I woke up with great difficulty this morning. The eyes stuck together, the pillow followed my head, even my alarm was too lazy to make significant noise, unlike usual.

My computer hung three times, so I made some hot tea, and found out my spoon was upside down, actually it’s not that bad, I can get a better grip and the spoon doesn’t hurt my right eye as much as it used to.

Saturday, we went to SPCA, stands for Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Animals. Talk about walking into temptation. We’ve been there before but found hard time to locate it. Apparently the surrounding has changed a lot, for what used to be quite natural site with a lot of trees into construction site where we could see concrete, concrete and concrete, I guess that is the upcoming train track.

SPCA is a home for abandon animal, they provide shelter, vaccination, adoption, but the animals will be put to sleep if nobody adopt them. It’s better to adopt a pet from there because someone might save an animal’s life, and be sure that the pet has been vaccinated, sterilized on request and microchipped, unlike pet shop who sometimes never vaccinated their pets, and what you need to pay is only the cost for those. It can sum up quite big, but it's within the reason and safety.

Adopting from there is not just like walk in, choose the pet and bring them home. They have to make sure that you are eligible to take care the dog to avoid second abundance. The adopter also has to bring their whole family along to make sure everyone is involved and they can only adopt pets suitable with the type of housing. Don’t let me start with why type of housing affects pet adoption.

There were a lot of adorable dogs there. Some I could name are Jack Russel Terrier, Beagle, Syberian Husky, German Shepard, Labrador, Samoyed and Terrier. Syberian Husky is my favorite type of dog but I always think it’s a cruelty to have it in Singapore as the weather is really really not suitable even for me!
The Syberian Husky was huge and looked very cool but it seemed unhappy and distracted, unlike the active Beagle who jumped when someone approached its cage, or German Sheppard and Samoyed who chewed my hand happily. There were two anjing kampung, X breed, who looked very cute and enthusiast as they barked a lot.
The one everyone loved was a very small Jack Russel who was very friendly with very busy short helicopter tail. It was one of the two options acceptable for our type of housing, if we decided to get one. But instead of sitting there to let the temptation past, there was one family who really keen to adopt that dog but found out that it had been reserved.

It’s not fair. Go find the dog your house size. Be a man! Hush hush hush.
Chanting. Chanting.

Other than dogs, there were cats, a lot of cats, and there was one who looked exactly like mine. Sniff. There were rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs too.
Talking about guinea pigs, I’m quite scared of them now but the reason is ridiculous enough.

Singapore has one unique culture and they call it Pasar Malam. It’s a temporary market that shows up once in a while, everywhere in the country, sometimes it comes with tiny Disneyland. From the things, it sells from stickers to cars. The negative is, everytime it’s the same thing over and over again and it becomes quite boring. And it has this scary religious stall with maybe some kind of priests dressed in golden dress, do some chanting and burn some scented joss stick. I don’t know what they are doing but the feeling it gives when I pass by is hiii…. And one time I saw they put two guinea pig on the table and covered one’s head with a bowl, while the other just stayed there, didn’t move at all with blank look. The priests chanted etc, I didn’t understand the single thing they said but I had feeling that they were trying to do something.. not so smart conclusion.
Okay, I didn’t stay to watch so I don’t know what happened. Come to think of it, it’s really a ridiculous reason! I should find out why.

I love my new spoon.


________________________________________________________________________________

Happiness is a warm puppy.
- Charles Monroe Schulz

I don’t mind where people make love, so long as they don’t do it on the street and frighten the horses.
- Mrs. Patrick Campbell

I exercise extreme self-control. I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast.
- W.C. Fields

My dog gave me a creep when he howled everyday at nine in the morning and four in the afternoon, long painful howl, consistently, everyday, until I found out that was the schedule of the ice-cream man.