Friday, June 30, 2006

Medication

There are times when I strongly believe that drugs contribute a lot to the familiar ‘sick feeling’. Of course you have to be sick first, but when you started the drugs, you are confirmed that you are sick, because the feeling those drugs give you. At least I know it applies to me.

I was down with fever on Monday and Tuesday, so no need to work for me. But instead of relaxing holiday, I slept and slept, even when I was not sleeping, I lay down half asleep. So it was not really fun, together with pooping all the pills that make my hands heavy and dried tongue and continuous hibernation. I never been a fan of antibiotics, but I had to admit that I was saved by one again. The painful burning feeling every time I swallow was not a match to numerous lozenges, until I popped two pills of antibiotics, it got better and disappeared really fast, the only thing is I am stuck with the rest of ten pills I have to finish.

Why antibiotics always come with ‘must finish?’ There were many many times in the past that I ignored it and simply forgot about it. Because keep swallowing pills when we are fine only keep the sick feeling inside, like now. It gives me side effects like feeling sleepy, weak, gasping breath and always like dehydrated. I have three more to go and have to match my schedule with the seasick pills I’m about to swallow starting tonight.

I remember when I was in college, I had one painful teeth that I desperately wanted to get rid of. So I went to the University dentist, free of charge, and asked the doctor to extract it out with all their might. The dentist refused, and said we had to get rid the pain on the first place, so she gave me two sets of antibiotic and asked me to see her the next week. I’m not really resistant to them, as I said, so I spent one week feeling like zombie. The next week, the pain was there, it was not really painful, but painful enough for me to recognize the pain and made me said yes when the dentist knocked it with tiny hammer. So she gave me another sets of antibiotics, another week, another appointment, another zombie. The third week, nothing improved, so repeat all process.

She was desperate and I was starting to think that I should run away, but I guess I had to stay in hostel during that month, so I didn’t consider to get treated outside. On the forth weeks she decided to try, and guess, she didn’t have the strength to pull the teeth out. She asked me to go to Salemba, where the UI Faculty of Dentistry located, armed with letter from her and my medication history.

Before I decided to listen to her again, I found that after the unsuccessful extraction, the pain was gone and I had the chance to go home, so I just went to the nearby dentist to get rid of that teeth.
Again, my luck, the dentist was very young, no offence, but young dentist really scared me, especially after these two. Hell, all dentists scare everyone.

So this dentist found no problem and started to inject me with local anesthetic. At one point, I was jolt and I guess the needle punctured the wrong nerves. When I sat to wait for one minute for the anesthetic to start working, I felt terrible. I felt that my left eye keep jumping, or everything captured by my left eye jumped wildy, grey black white and everything was shaking like a rodeo. When I closed that eye, everything was normal. My Dad and Brother looked at me as I was a strange creature. They said half of my face was pale like hell, I told them because everything was jumping! The dentist’s face was paler than mine, I think he started to shake and maybe thought of a way to get out of the country, and luckily, the jumping stopped and the faithful teeth was thrown away. Fiuuu. To bad for my brother, for him, it was almost worse. The anesthetic failed on him numerous times, and the dentist extracted his tooth without any painkiller.
The dentist is still in operation until now, ten years after, outside our house complex. Everytime we passed by, there was a flash of wild memories. He..


________________________________________________________________________

I die by the help of too many physicians.
- Alexander The Great (on his deathbed)

Medicine is the only profession that labors incessantly to destroy the reason for its own existence.
- James Bryce

A good listener is not someone who has nothing to say. A good listener is a good talker with a sore throat.
- Katharine Whilehorn