Monday, July 17, 2006

Insurance ?

I had quite a plain weekend. But weekend is never boring, even though we didn’t do anything but listened to an insurance salesman. (?!?) Regardless what, weekends always pass very fast, and the dreaded day, Monday, is here again.

Cracked from a rusty head, I decided that maybe this is time for us to buy insurance. Maybe a bit too late for some, but the idea of all the hassle and paperwork, and salesman, and monthly premium is not really our preferred activity. Until, yap, we are this old. And looking at the relatives of us who fell sick and spent hundreds of millions..no kidding.. Human sounds more fragile than ever and money sounds like important thing!
And insurance indeed is more expensive than being a club member; it’s that expensive that we haven’t signed up, yet, Ugh.

July is also the most boring month in a year. It is mid year, without any Public Holiday, and the hottest time of the year. Because of that, it’s not easy to drag our feet to go out. Hot weather is only suitable for living near the sea, while in the city, hot and humidity can be like dummy for hell. We walked out from air-conditioned mall, and the burning road with all the flaming heat whooshed up and wrapped the body like a bubble of waterproof sheet. Right. I just don’t know how to describe it.

So when we went out on Sunday we rushed back home like a kanchiong spider or dancing ant. To explain my metaphors,
When I was young, I liked to observed ants especially in the cemented front yard. The dark brown small little ones, not the ugly big one or the ugly small ones (and I proud with my knowledge of ant species!) I was wondering one day why no ants was on sight outside in the yard, I just built a mini outdoor garden and I wanted some occupants or prospective buyers. So, again, I found an ant in the house and put it outside. To my surprise, the ant ran like crazy and ngiek, it was dead. Because it actually damn hot and it was like walking on the burning stove for it because it didn’t wear any slipper. And it died because of a curious giant..eh, and blame the hot weather.
Kanchiong spider is the term I borrow from the slang here. It means exactly the way it is, so if a spider has panic attack, it looks more busy than other animal because it has eight long legs to make happening situation, if a centipede panic, it looks busy too, but centipede can only move one way or in slow motion, so panic spider looks much much more agitated. I learnt the term when my colleague, being called by our lady boss, the Empress Dowager, and he was running here and there like crazy, diving into pile of papers, caught his hand in the printer and almost spilled his coffee. Then my other colleague looked at him with flat eyes and said, “Kanchiong spider.” She explained when she saw my blur expression.

Just now, I took the risk to ask my colleagues about insurance, and all of them turned into agents in no time. They tried to be helpful of course, by giving me all the information about insurance and investment. When I told them I only want insurance and not interested in investment, they thought I am weird. Because I don’t want to put my money for investment, money that I have to set aside for a looong time, how if I became an unemployed one day, or a pure housewife, but they said it’s ridiculous for me to think the worst. It surprised me because for me it’s a very real thing that can happen. I can’t be employed forever, I can’t have a safe job forever, I can’t have the same lifestyle or no additional needs in the future, what are not real in this matter? Is it wrong to think that I better have a little bit of money but I would able to use it when I need, or have more money in the paper but money that I can’t touch when I need and I have to look for loan shark instead? They said it’s impossible for me to have that scenario or running out of money one day. But why? I can quit my job now; go for Nepal for three months and left with nothing. It’s real. Huh. I have to scream here because I couldn’t get through their reasoning. After tried to explain for five minutes, I decided it’s useless to talk when we were not in the same page. Blah blah blah, Or, maybe I really don’t understand these kind of thing. Argh.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I used to desire many, many things, but now I have just one desire, and that's to get rid of all my other desires.
- John Cleese

More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits.
- John Nelson.

Money is something you have to make in case you don't die.
- Max Asnas.

Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
- Spike Milligan

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.
- Benjamin Franklin