Thursday, December 04, 2008

Traveling!



I always want some magical stuff from my favorite cartoon character, the round and fat and bald blue cat who doesn’t look like a cat.. One of the thing I want is the Magical Door, repeat after me with croacky voice “Pintu Kemana Sajaaaaaaaaa”.

How wonderful it would be if I have this thing. Imagine, I can just open the door and go to the best dive sites in the world that I would never able to afford without sacrificing a lot of things. I can just plung to wherever I want to be, staring at the sky above the remote mountain in Java, walking in the snow in Switzerland, canyoning trough the cliff in Tibet, sand tobogganing in Australia outback, watch African Dance ritual in, well, Africa, counting migrating penguin in Antarctica, basking with marine iguana in Galapagos (although.. hiii! Giant lizard!), have breakfast in New Zealand, lunch in Hokkaido and dinner in Yogyakarta, and so and so hell yeah!..

But now I have different thinking, I think human should endure traveling while they can, it shapes important part of our lives. Maybe it’s not so exciting to go everywhere again if what we need to do is open that door. Traveling to reach a destination is time and resource consuming, tiring, dangerous, sickening but it makes us grateful to reach the end of it. Sometimes, the traveling itself is the enjoyment and important part of the trip. We create bonds with companion, make friends, even fall in love, have exciting adventure to remember etc etc.., even movie world admit the necessity, look at movies like TransAmerica, The terminal, Titanic, Little Miss Sunshine to name a few..

Of course there are times when all we want during traveling is to drop dead in the bedroom. I have encountered at least twice. As I am not resistant with motion sickness (I think I lost a screw somewhere in my head, it affects my balance. I even got prescription with what the doctor called cure for “Nerve Imbalanced”, how crazy is that sound? But don’t shun me, it’s quite common ok…).

Yah, there are times when I spent whole day traveling in bus’s toilet. Tell me about the scenery in Twelve Apostles, now it’s not even Twelve anymore, Apollo Bay, etc etc..What I remember is throwing up in the toilet every 15 minutes, literally, I was so pissed that I just sat in the toilet. Tell me about the nice first experience of scuba dive, what I did was also throwing up leaning on the boat, on the sea surface and underwater.
Tell me about squeezing my legs and everything into cramp airline and stranded in the airport waiting for plane delay in hot weather and smelly neighbors, about the fear when being driven by someone who acted like drunkard, or plane that is not working properly just before boarding. Mugger, crappy people, insanity, bau terasi, hairy people…
There are whole load of crap.

But still, traveling is significant, it keeps us grateful when we reach destination, it gives us motivation to be able to step out foot somewhere one day one time, it keeps the quiet place quiet, exotic places exotic, great diving site great, and pretty places pretty. What is more significant?

Of course, if I’m able to bargain, I would like to eliminate the negative impact of traveling, the worry of safety of loved ones. And to get the advantage like being able to visit my family anytime now and then.

That would be ideal.

If only the world is ideal.

Doraemoooooonnnnnnn!!!



Only the traveling is good which reveals to me the value of home and enables me to enjoy it better.
- Henry David Thorea

There is a third dimension to traveling, the longing for what is beyond.
- Jan Myrdal

The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
- Unknown

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

I would like to spend the whole of my life traveling, if I could anywhere borrow another life to spend at home.
- William Hazlitt

My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world.
- Billy Graham