Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Selling Life

I read this in newspaper. After a divorce, a guy decides to sell away his life. His car, his house, his belongings like jet skis, piano etc even his job. So he auctions everything as a package, for the job, he will introduce the buyer for some attachment and testing period for the job suitability, with the concern of his boss. At the end, he would go to the airport and board any flight that comes his way at that very moment.

Wow. I think it’s a wow.

He must hate or loves his ex wife very strongly. Well, they say love and hate is just divided by a string. Not entirely agree, but both are very strong emotion. I can see why love can turn into hate, but for hate that turn into love, it’s too much of drama plot…?

And it’s a wow too to have that much of courage; many people in the world can’t even bear to take up the risk of doing one quarter of that. Traveling to foreign country, quit job, moving is already kind of very big thing that not everybody is willing to do if they don’t have too. I once imagine that if something ever hit me so hard that I lost my mind, I would travel to Tibet (well not at current time) and stay there in the mountain where no one recognizes me and I recognize no one. Maybe after I know every twist and turn of the path, I will head back home, or wait until there is someone who truly understands me and find me there (it happens all the time in the movie he……). But to really sell a life away, it must be very hard.

Hard in emotional way, hard in bureaucracy way.

Bureaucracy, imagine if this guy is in Singapore, and he is Indonesian. First, he has to sell away this house, wait for HDB appointment, at least appointment 1 and 2 and hand over key, document signing etc. He has to resign, serve notice and clear up any taxes and etc, it’s almost impossible or he has to wait long-long to get Singapore employer’s agreement for a stranger fellow to take over his job. He can’t anyhow board a plane because Indonesian passport only limit us to regional visa-less travel. To draw money from everything he sells is another bureaucracy, and so on and so forth. If it doesn’t kill him, then he can continue..

Emotional way, leave a lot to explain but nothing is enough to explain too..
Example, even when I moved out Jakarta, on the last day before departure then I realized, I was actually moving my life. Things will never be the same again. The family and friends will be away. If any obstacles come my way, I will only depend on myself. I can’t anyhow just come home and say,” My colleague farted in meeting room today.”
I have to wait until I got chance to go out, to find a interlocal phone booth and when I finally reached them, it’s not a fun story anymore, or I can’t afford to tell small stories everyday. Or I have to wake up extra early to catch the discounted phone connection. That’s for small stories.
For big ones, ones that might make me sad, cry, angry, upset, I have to make sure that I survive first before I can share my troubles.

That’s for moving life, for selling life, that means he is reborn. Starts everything all over again, to help him forget the bitter past, but also means, he washes out everything nice he had also. Actually, is there really a way to forget something bitter in the past? Even by selling life? I can’t think of a way except go and find the hardest rock and bang your head to it until you get amnesia. Because everything is carved in the brain, in the heart. When a person is so called get over of unpleasant things, it’s because they have learned to deal with it and they have become ‘less hurt’ by it, but not by forgetting it or selling it away…is it? I think it just doesn’t work that way….