Monday, July 23, 2007

LET'S!

LET'S!


As munch as I want to start this week with happy posting. I got to say, life is indeed sucks. Sucks and unfair and cruel. I’m not speaking for my behalf; I have a great one and always remind myself to treasure it, especially when I see it from another person’s eyes.

Meeting new friends has opened my eyes wider.
It’s amazing to meet different kind of people in the world. Come from different background, different life style and different story.
I have a lot of friends with similar life background with me, we study, we play. Ordinary life and ordinary family. To think of it, it’s actually a very great thing to be grateful to. As a student, we don’t need to worry about our education in the past, how to make the ends meet, although we were not rich, we were okay.

The very first encounter maybe is with this guy who came from a broken home and had been independent since he was young. Under many circumstances, because he was working with us and we considered him as family, he stayed with us. He is very nice, he is very kind, but perhaps from personality or shaped from his background, he had a terrible temper. I’ve known him since he was 25 and I was 12, and I always regarded him as a brother. Little did I know, and I was naïve too, that he meant something more. So when my guy friends visited me at home, just ordinary visit from classmates, he was so agitated that he returned me back all my pictures which I don’t know how he got hold of them and announced that he wanted to break up. Huh? When did we actually become couple at the first place? He quitted working and disappeared for a few days. I was worried, I was sad, but I kind of very pissed off. It was too childish for my thinking even though I was only 17. Hypothetically put, even if I was his girlfriend, so what? Is that mean I can’t talk to other guys as long as I live?
But it was a breakthrough, I was glad it happened because it made me realize how was my position and I thought that should be the end. But sadly, no. He only gave up another five years later.

Another encounter with other side of life is from a guy who called me often during my Uni time. He got my number from my friend I guess, although I’m not sure why my friend would disclose it to a stranger. He asked whether he could be my phone pal, he called me on weekends when I was at home. I came to know that he was kind of ‘gangster’, he became homeless one time and another, dropped out because he had conflict with school, get involved in fights and whatever thing unfamiliar with my ears etc. I was maybe kind of his place to tell his tale, and I don’t know why it has to be like that. The good thing was, we were only phone pal. I don’t know how he is now.

I met this kid, kid, hehehe..two years younger than me when we were going to Rock Climbing Expedition trip in Bandung. We opened up this activity to public, and this kid from Boedoet joined us. See, for my school which so called ordinary respectable school producing students who listen to teachers and do home work regularly, or even between my Uni friends, many of us came from ‘proper’ school. Boedoet is a very famous school for their graffiti; they decorated the landscape of Jakarta with their school name with colorful spray paints, everywhere, under the bridge, on the wall, whatever walls. Anyone in my generation should know Boedoet and their reputation in getting involved in school fights or gang fights.
However, this kid, I don’t know whether because he respected my organization or respected my friends who most of them were males had these very garang faces, or maybe because he indeed a good kid, or maybe actually Boedoet was different with my imagination, he was none I thought a Boedoet-an would be. He was nice, a very gentlemen person and an excellent rock climber. So, we should never judge I guess.

I also felt detached from my ‘proper’ school background when Hubby had reunion with his high school friend. So four of us, with the wife and me, shared stories of the past. And three of them were actually the trouble makers in school. From fighting with principal to whatever thing I could imagine, I enjoyed the stories but was wondering how fun it was if I had done the same. Mhaha…the craziest thing I did was marching into the administration office and demanded an explanation about some costs that we had paid but we had never received and kicked out the foundation of teacher’s tent when we went out for camping trip, but it was nothing. I felt like a nerdest kind of nerd listening to their stories.

When I worked in Batam, I met more people who had gone through crazier life than me, One went by himself to other side of Java while he was a teenager, hitchhiking along the way and survived by washing dishes to get food.
When I actived in my cyber writing community, I found more shocking and crazy reality that life is bad, life is tough. What you see in movie, reality sometimes can be worse and unimaginable.

Now I meet new friends in class, and I’m fascinated with some of their story of life and workplace. One just shared another story that makes me really sad and thinking hard. He once had a very high profile job, but then he had to give it up because he had some medical condition, which is actually completely acceptable for him to continue his job. But it seemed like it’s so easy for people to abandon fellow human just because of some condition, his license to fly was revoked. He had to turn over his life, let go his education, passion and dreams for a cause that shouldn’t be valid.

So I said, life is cruel and unfair. Human are narrow-minded and selfish.

I also learned this from another friend whose everyday life is to deal with unfortunate and abused children.

If you need more, read everyday’s newspaper. It’s maddening.

I got to say, I am a grateful person, but I haven’t felt this grateful for so long.

So, I should dedicate this for friends of mine who are always looking up and unhappy about themselves, their job and their life. Because countless, countless time we disregard ourselves and forget about what we have and what we should feel grateful for.

They say, the good way to make a person grateful with what they have, is to take it away from them. But don’t let be that way, because it really sucks.




Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard


Not only is life a bitch, it has puppies.
- Adrienne Gusoff.

Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
- Hector Berlioz

Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved.
- Mark Twain



.