Friday, November 24, 2006

The Big Blue

I watched a movie called The Big Blue; it’s a French movie with original title Le Grand Bleu, made in 1988. The movie was not very successful in America, but it was played in French for over a year. I watched the extended version, and I have a new favorite movie.

It’s inspired by two rival-friends in free diving sport, played by Jean Reno (he is always cool) and Jean-Marc Barr. The characters in the movie are real. Both of them are depth record breaker for free diving until the competition to break record was banned.
But the movie itself is not all about some rigid competition but mix of everything. Just when you think the movie is over, it doesn’t. Just when you think you know the way it’s going, it goes another way.
It’s unique and in some sort of way made me glue to the screen and be in the same shoe with the character and it does blow me away. Watch! It’s a gem.

Last week I watch An Inconvenient Truth. Not many people know about this movie as it is not published widely here. I thought it’s a documenter, but surprise surprise, I didn’t have a hint that Al Gore is into environment. I didn’t even know how does he look but only hear his name few times related to US politic. Charismatic, well said, although I can’t help wondering why is it feel like an autobiography and campaign purpose. So, the movie gripped me but not for long, as the main purpose is almost blurred. But watch out, watching this movie make you feel like attending to a Geography class. Although, if only classes were at this quality.

Tiger And The Snow. My friend recommended this movie; we are both the fans of Roberto Benigni’s work in Life Is Beautiful. As LIB, it’s not easy to guess where the movie is going on the first part, it feels like what-the-hell-is-the-plot type of drama comedy, but when we find out what is it all about, it makes us stick to it.
Both movies have many similarities. Starting from the same casts, which I must say have very similar character in both movies, it has light-simple plot with heavy historical background. Eliminate all the errors and questions about the history, the length of Auschwitz concentration camp, that divers breath pure oxigen, and then enjoy the heart-warming movie.
To be mushy, both movies have great points for us to think about how we should live and love. : )

Malena, this is an Italy movie, with Monica Bellucci as the main cast, perfect cast imo. The story a about how a beautiful woman gets through her life during wartime. Beautiful woman, as in beautiful as a curse, in hypocritical society. It’s scary.

Alibi is funny in its own way. About a business in providing alibi for those unfaithful husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend.
I watched it sometimes ago, I thought the main character is cute, although he is not handsome, not nice small built and never smile. ?!?

Pirate of The Caribbean 2, didn’t really understand some parts because I forgot about the first installment, at times I got very piss off with the witch lady for not talking normally, at other times I laughed my head out at Captain Jack. But most of all, I watched it because of the main actor : ) Johny Deep lah! But I do like the movie.

Lake House, again, he he he he, Mass Nunu! The story is adopted from Korean movie, about two people living two years apart. Not bad. Quite romantic.

RV, starring Robie William, about how he struggled to maintain his works and family, one of them by having a road trip to (Damn, I forgot the place! The place has great sceneries) in RV, some kind of trailer.
Great actor, and not a bad comedy.

Benny and Joon, old old movie, starring, Johny Deep. Another weird character. Light movie, about how two unusual person together. Simple, predictable, but it’s nice.

Underworld and Sequence. Bah.

The Break Up, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaugh. Nice movie, the plot is simple but imo, all the guy in the world should watch it, very connectable to real life, more than people ever thought. Like the ending.

The World Fastest Indian. The feel-good movie, about Anthony Hopkins doing what he always dream about. It’s long, he talks a lot, but everybody is nice.

Click. Not a useless drama. Something to think about, but I could use some button of the remote. : )

Unfaithful. Richard Gere, Diana Keaton (?) and Oliver Martinez. Not an unique idea but the plot is not bad and Oliver Martinez is....hot.

From those all, the one I really hit the cinema was Pirate and Inconvenient Truth only. Wadaw, should spice up my night life a bit..