Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Been A While

Been a while.
Last week I read news posted in scuba forum, about Fish. Yes, if the world is going on like this, 50 years from now there will be no fish in the ocean. I thought it must have been some useless post from some Greenpeacer thingy, then I heard it from the radio, and from the news in TV.

When we dive, we see school of fish from time to time, although only in good dive sites we can see thick school and cloud or fish soup. I remember I thought, there are so many fish, but there are also so many human. How could it be enough for all? Fish have their own problem, their own food chain, and human came in as the top in the food chain from small number, until now, when the fishing industry has become easy and modern.

Some dive spot, like the ones in West Malaysia, we could see deserted sea. Not many fish and the whole area sometimes just like being washed away. No color, no life, and I admit, one time, I got bored with the dive.

It’s amazing how human can put so much destruction. Everyone have a part. Even divers, who actually have to care about the environment for their leisure, contribute good deal of destructions. New divers, irresponsible divers, stupid divers, touch coral and marine life as they want it, or kicking their fins everywhere their want and harass animal. People poaching and using bomb or cyanide to harvest fish, or fisherman who cut fins from shark. Of course that goes on, consumers, buyers, traders, nobody can say they don’t play a part.

I always feel that I live in the wrong time. I graduated from my major Architecture, and all of sudden all the jobs related were difficult to find. They said, a year ago or so it was a very good and easy profession, that’s what I heard when I went into the Uni too.

Not only that, many things, I’m always too late.

At work, they say, previous years, we have this and that amount of bonus. It was a good year. But it never be good year in present.

So does diving industry. I have heard many many times, when the local just look at the cloud and say, Last time, we could see this and that type of fish here, but now there are no more.

I come to wonder, why am I always too late? Can’t the fish or the industry or the good things wait for me? *I can’t out grown my self here!*

But then again, it’s not only good thing that I miss. Every generation, every body, feel something is too much or missing from their time. How many times have you heard your friends or yourself say that the generation now is very much different from us. Kids are spoilt, they use handphone since they start talking, they can afford fast food for all their meals, and parents go making scene at school when their children are being bitten by mosquito.

While us, coins inside the camera film bottle is our asset to communications, between friends, lovers, letter and paper. Nobody really worried if we fall or come back home with bruises and blue black patch. We’d be lucky enough not to get extra helping.

But then again, just when we thought we are the tougher generation, our elders step in and say that we are spoilt. At their times, communication means See you in ten years, or when the pony express manage to deliver my letter through the Indian valley and cowboy robber. They come home with broken leg after falling down from a tree, and were told to fill the water tank from the river 2 kilometers from home.

Maybe, there never is a good perfect timing for everyone.

I might be lucky enough to see this type of fish occasionally now, while in the past, divers can see it anytime. How about future? Maybe my grandchildren won’t know what is fish.

But I still always think we are living in uncertain time, in the worst time of the earth. Human is destroying machine in every aspects. When war, pollution and destruction have taken toll and human are being punished from the impacts.
It’s the time when everything is almost gone but still there, so human start to think that instead of destroying, they have to conserve. So, hopefully, the future is when the turning back happens, when human and nature really take care of each other.
So it should be better world, shouldn’t it?

I do hope that we are living in the worst time. It’s both optimistic and pessimistic.

Or is it true what the old saying says, Earth start with no human, and end with no human too?
Because they destroy each other and destroy everything else.

___________________________________________________________________________________

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fishburger and I realize, Oh my God. I could be eating a slow learner.
- Lynda Montgomery

- Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to.
- The fact that man knows right from the wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot.
Mark Twain