Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Beautiful Singapore

There are many sides of Singapore main island, it takes time to explore, it takes moments to ponder.
The impression is always, big city, transportation hub, shopping center, busy roads, fast-walking city dweller, buildings, buildings, buildings.

Despite the limitation and the main characteristic, Singapore actually has many hidden places, if you care enough to explore. Places where you can see less people, places where you can say "I don't feel like I'm in Singapore."..

I have found some secret places by accidental exploration or introduced.
Some time ago, I found a nice patch of shore just next to the place I work. It's not that close, we needed to walk around 3 clicks to reach. But it's very nice, quiet, beautiful and green patch of shore overlooking the reservoir. The road is just a distance away, but we can forget the sound of traffic and feel 'out of Singapore'.

There is also lush 'forestry' quite near my house, even though it's next to the street, it's well hidden, and the amount of mosquitoes and wild macaques say so too.

Last weekend I explore east part of Singapore, where I stumbled upon hidden beach and beautiful pine forest. There are beaches where we could see people fishing, doing Kite Surfing (It's an impressive sport!), rope-boarding (I don't know what is the official name).

But the best, are still the secret bays where we can just watch the water movement on the sand, colorful sea snail, sitting under the tree and listen to bird chirping with extraordinary beautiful blue sky and vegetation along the way.

No closure for this post.


Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our hearts are drunk with a beauty our eyes could never see.
~ George W. Russell


Do I love you because you're beautiful,
Or are you beautiful because I love you?

~ Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, Cinderella