Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sticky Situation

If I happen to meet someone I don’t know enough to be comfortable, I know enough to ignore, it can be quite a disaster. This morning I met up with a neighbour friendly and kind enough to exchange small talks. We were both in hurry, had to rush and said goodbye to each other after the lift hit ground floor.

If I happen to be the one in front, no problem, I would race, fast. The problem is when she is in front, says goodbye, and the races. Noisy and audible with the shoe heel clicking onto the pavement, but yet, there is not improvement in the speed compared to my three years old niece. Difficult to take over, because she is trying her best to walk fast, swinging hands and bags, strains her leg muscle and that is fast for her. I have to walk behind and find a chance to make a detour. Everything can goes well, but if for some situation that holds me up, I might meet in the intersection again and it would more devastating.

If I stuck in a place with someone I don’t want to.

Taking bus to work, there is almost certain that I’m going to meet that regular collagues or even strangers who share the same bus with me, at the same time, every day. Recognition, smile, some people are aware enough to keep their distance. But for others, it’s just a must to them to change small talk and sit beside you in the bus.

There are a lot of people growing up and think that small gesture is a must even though they might not like it. My background, my family also adopt this kind off thinking especially toward older relatives. But mom and dad must have had hard time with me, since I’m quite oblivious to that. My principal is there is no need for forced small talk or visit if there in no genuine intention. What’s that for… you feel uncomfortable, I feel uncomfortable, we are both wasting time to do what we don’t like, just because we want to be polite, or it is a tradition. Nah., cut it slack. If we both know we don’t want it, I volunteer to be the bad guy and stop the hassle. Although they might label me what and what, hey., they thank me deep in their heart.

But if your relatives and friends are genuinely want to see you or need you, than perhaps we should suck it up and give them our time if that means something for them, as long as they don’t turn into unreasonable nagging we are good for nothing type of advisor, I still think that relation is very important minus all the unnecessary annoying small talks.

Back to the sticky situation I can’t really avoid, sitting for half an hour in the bus every morning with someone who constantly talks. I dread every morning to see her in the bus terminal. We totally have nothing in common, not even for opposite change of mindset. I enjoy hearing things from different point of view, but this is not stimulating one. (Remember on of the Friends episode when Ross and Mike stuck together? But at least both of them keep quiet.)

I can even memorize how she would start the conversation ‘I’m so tired’.
It goes over and over and over again and one day I bothered myself to ask: You can’t be possibly feeling tired and say it every morning. You can say something else for a change. Anything. Sleepy. Okay. My butt is itchy. Why not. The sky is blue. Uh-uh, fair enough. I’m afraid that my bag will eat me. This could get interesting.

Just don’t say something for the sake of saying it. I don’t mind if you don’t sit beside me just because we know each other in the office. And if you don’t talk. I don’t want my first contact with outside is someone who is tired all the time and be contagious.

After awhile, a long agony while, she gets my point, I guess. So I can enjoy writing or listening to music for half an hour. I’m a loner, picky and I’m mean. I get it. But if that can get me out from sticky situation....