Monday, August 24, 2009

Good Saturday

Early morning on Saturday I went kite flying with my colleague. She was with me for about an hour, before she had to join her programmed weekly exercise on the same place, West Coast Park. I welcome invitations to spend my weekends outdoor, and I love to try new fun things.

I’ve never fly kite before. I remember during childhood, it was not my activity as well. I wanted to join my brother when he played with the neighbor, but we only had one lousy and I think borrowed kite, so I had to succumb to my gender.
Anyway, it was not easy to fly kite, especially the wind only came occasionally. In fact, I couldn’t let it up! Although as confidence recovery, my friend couldn’t fly up mine also, something was not right with the kite. To add into the technical problem faults, none of few person who played kite that day managed to get it up, except my friend. Her kite was flying; she passed it to me when she had to go.

Original plan was for me to take it down, went home or go shoe shopping, then met her up again with another friend for trekking in Bukit Timah around midday. But I decided to stay for awhile since the kite was flying happily and I enjoyed the place.

Well, it’s not a fantastic park; it’s the first time I went there because it’s not so convenient for those without private vehicle. The park is located at the coast, seaside but it’s not the horizon and beautiful sea we can see. It’s those ships and cargo from the distance. From the place I stood, which is a distance away, it looked better than Sembawang beach near my area.

While I don’t rate it high, it’s quite a nice place to compliment and as gateaway from the city. It has big patches of green grass field, playground, exercise machines to play, and paths for jogging. Families came with kids, singletons and duotones came with their dogs or for jogging. The majority of all are youngsters who came in big group to practice Frisbee and baseball. Yah, Frisbee! I didn’t know it’s a popular team sport. Although I was kind of squeezed in the center of all, I still had my patch and my peace.

I let the kite flying higher and higher until the end of the string. It’s quite steady at times, occasionally went havoc a bit, there was one time it shot back down very fast but then I managed to keep it up again. It was not windy on the ground, but on top, I swear I could almost see how happy the kite was, smiling, flying and fighting the wind with all its might. The string would disappear to the blue and made a curve to where the kite was. What can make it perfect? There should be a dog and a book to accompany me. Hubby has his own hobby; we share common interests but also give each other time to pursue our own. While his can be done in Singapore, I would have to rely on overseas trip. But I have the time alone to do other things myself or with friends.

Time flies, and suddenly my friend had already finished with her program. She was laughing at me and surprise that I was still there. Halfway through I decided to just spend my morning there, I would need to rely on my Croc to trek because I felt lazy going shopping or back home and went out again, the sissy shoe was actually not bad for trekking, as proven now and then. Although I really had to get one serious trekking shoes again for real destinations.

Indeed, there was not much time left. Leaving the park by bus, my other friend had already waited us up at the meeting point before proceeding to Bukit Timah. Three of us then climb up though the tarmac road before switching to the real tracks.

Bukit Timah track is considered easy. The vegetation is quite open and there are steps and boardwalk with very little natural tracks. The forest looks a bit dry, not misty with green patches and varieties like what we can find in others. I prefer natural track than man-made steps, but this is the closest we can get to trekking in Singapore, located at its highest peak.

Nevertheless, we spent two hours and it was a great exercise. Good Saturdays for me are spent outdoor, and I’m grateful I had my companions. : )