Monday, August 21, 2006

Puffing Monday

One of the fastest ways to make friend imo, is when there are similarity. Maybe similarity in hobbies, in taste, in activities and ideas. For me, it’s really good when I can feel the ‘click’ with someone, especially in something unusual.

This friend of mine, I can’t really consider her as very close friend. She is one of my colleagues who used to sit next to me, then she moved out next door. We hardly hang out other than office hours, except a few times when we happened to go to office function or colleague wedding together, because we live nearby.

We enjoyed talking about nothing, we enjoyed criticizing the radio and especially, those annoying DJ. But most of all, we found that we have a lot of similarity, in a weird way. Weird way because the things that we have mostly in common are those things against the majority or modern lifestyles. Things that make other people say that we are weird because we don’t like it. So it’s weirder when we know we found some other similar weirdo! We have many of these weird similarity that we also find it weird that there are a lot of weird thing that only weird people do which make the weird being called weird and apparently the are some other weird who also agree with our weirdness. Talk about understanding me…

Short to say, this made us click and we could talk long long way without getting bored. I categorized office people into two categories. The first and the most are the colleague whom we cross path along the way to lift, to toilet, to photocopy machine, those we throw polite smiles, friendly nod, but when we are stuck somewhere, it feels like hell. Sort of you have to find something to talk about, but you are not really care. The popular questions are always about residence, family, age (don’t know about other, but I’m curious about people’s age ;p), small talk is fine and sometimes it will end before you know it, the unpleasant thing is when you really get stuck for quite a long time like on the way out with some colleague I hardly know and they are talking about religion (their) and the importance of a family (our). The most contradictive advise I have ever received from this type of interaction made me avoid talking to that guy. This guy, I didn’t even know his name that time, advised me to have a kid, since I’m married and kidless (I haven’t even had my wedding dinner yet), because having kid is important blabla and family is not complete with kid, but then, to put the kid in Jakarta while I’m working here. Talk about the importance of family. That was the most ridiculous and crappiest advice I have ever heard, from someone who talked too much.

The second category is of course those colleagues that I’m comfortable with, like this friend of mine, and she’s leaving. Although we hardly exchange thought since she moved, I still feel some kind of loss, although I don’t feel sad. But I guess people come, people go. Constant change. That’s life. Close to thirty, I should have figured it out. I just hope that we deserve to cross our path again someday, like many many people I’ve known before and maybe people I haven’t known yet. :")

_________________________________________________________________________________

Everything that goes up must come down. But there comes a time when not everything that's down can come up.
- George Burns

I date this girl for two years -- and then the nagging starts: 'I wanna know your name.'
- Mike Binder

When having my portrait painted I don't want justice, I want mercy.
- Billy Hughes

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
- Steven Wright

BEER, Helping ugly people get laid since 1865.