Friday, April 09, 2010

Imagine

This is one of the songs with the best lyric. In my opinion.
I was smitten with this song long time ago, and upon chance to hear it again,
this time, again, really ponder through the lyric, but I look at it a bit differently.

Average monkey. Or... average weird monkey, like me, will love to imagine a world
without countries and religions. I don't mind countries, one of the things I love to do is to learn or read about other's cultures and uniqueness.
On the other hand, I might be in the minority for thinking that the absence of religions will make the world a better place. We need to learn common sense good and bad, right or wrong to live side to side, but we shouldn't differentiate and divide ourselves the way it is happening now. After all, religions are interpreted and practiced by human, one single animal species that make the most mistakes, driven by the most greed, most capable of cruelty and violent among their own species and other species.
Yah.. I think we’ll be fine without that.

Now I ponder about another phrase in the song “Imagine no possessions”
No need for greed or hunger”
I guess in the past I didn’t really give the first sentence a long thought. (Not that I say we have to ponder through every song lyrics as way of killing time. It’s just me being me, my brain is randomly scattered that I think about random things. All the time. Many times too much for my own liking.)
If I can say confidently that religion doesn’t matter to me, I can’t say the same for possession, and I’m sure, neither do majority of everyone else.
It’s the urge to decorate my shoes with those cute buttons that are honestly not really applicable for my age (but do I look like I care if anyone think so? ;p), it’s the dream of going places and doing things, it’s the crave of Indonesian food, it’s a sadness of seeing your favorite white top with chilly stain and the possessions of those you love and care about. How would I ever let it go? How could someone can be completely detached? Detach from earthy possessions, that I’m sure can be achieved at certain level, although I’m nowhere near. But detach from emotional possessions is something I can’t even… imagine.

Ah well..
I really do respect the writer of the lyrics.
I should continue ponder his other work that has excellent writing quality also.
Another one of the most straightforward lyrics: Jealous Guy
I’m not really a fan of John Lennon or Beatles but I love these two song’s lyrics.